It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: HolySons lyrics
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

<Festering Mind Energy>

Written/Recorded in '99
Released in '02 on 'Enter the Uninhabitable'

"I gravitate to the most holy alone...
I feel lured by the supra-heights
Such is the life of Gods... of God-like men..
A liberation from all earthly bonds,
I take no pleasure in the earthly desires..
A flight of the alone alone... to the alone..

..see I'm deliberately feeling my way
for I am power over faculties so flighty and free
at an altar of a power rising underneath..
You see all through the ages and tides..
I never had to say that I tried..

If there's a sin you know I'm gonna right it
If there's a wrong you know I'm gonna fight it
..whatever's wrong I'm gonna right..

* ...someone on Duncan Trussell's forum pointed out that some of these lyrics were lifted from the Ancient Greek philosopher Plotinus... here's an excerpt from this::
http://www.rowan.edu/open/philosop/clow ... otinus.htm

"For humans, the "flight of the alone to the alone," as Plotinus called it, is marked by rational inquiry (since the forms are rational and known by the rational mind). but it is also marked by a mystical experience which transcends reason, as the soul goes into itself and returns to Unity with its source. This element of mysticism in Plotinus was a major source of inspiration for medieval Christian mystics and theologians. Recent scholars like Jules Brehier have speculated that Plotinus may have been influenced by direct acquaintance with Hindu mysticism. Whether he was or not, his mystical teachings are certainly similar to those of the Upanisads, and seem to reflect a similar mystical experience."

* ..the opening screams were recorded on my handheld tape recorder at these insane parties out in the woods Duncan and I used to go to in college

* ...there's some <probably drunken> comedic attempts to reference Steven Tyler's singing at the end

* ...if any song encapsulizes the Nietzschean phase of HolySons in the late 90's,,, this is it..

"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Admin

<Supraharmony>

Written/Recorded in late '98 or early '99
Released in '00 on 'Lost Decade'

"Nose bleeds of course the existential needs no congruency in its age a-rhythm-a-cuz you was all out of empathy for other aspects cold sexpectation rules the schools I got kicked out into the street, I'm warming myself now from Apollo's Heights... refuse the reasons to fight with the psychically poor,, violence immense,, intelligence reigns but not from behind clouds,, crowds believe! 'God's beyond good and evil' -

{Ease my eyes with understanding-and-a-ding-cop} < - a reference to the track 'Wait Stop Plex'

Supraharmony unseen by single sets of eyes..
Harmony and progress un-understood by those who valuate single modes of being
Thought is much bigger,, and scopes are wide to embrace any challenge you choose to face -
I found out the brain combines infinite fights with the finite desires and confessions light up my forest fires...

..now if you fall prey to unfocused eyes and unstudied fate,, just concentrate,, know what you need..
..yr own truth unfolds with patience... old traits remain thru calamity you'll see if you hold on...
{knowing and knowing and on and on}"

* ..another deep philosophy-era cut,,, .. I recorded this in a bedroom over at my old friend Brendan Beers' house on his 4-track straight to cassette... ...no idea why I would have done it over there other than I literally had to get it on tape while it was all in my head -- /... if there is nonsense embedded into the lyrics,,, its probably a reference or message to my best friend who taught me how play in this style around '92,,, playing with language and cutting it up into syllables that run into each other and create double-meanings etc.... not unlike how Bowie used the Gysin/Burroughs cut-up method for "I'm an alligator,,, I'm a mama papa calling for you!"

..awesome // 10-4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:20 am 

a couple times duncan trussell has mentioned a mysterious musician (once with emil and again on a different podcast) i have been wondering if theres any place i can here this music. it sounded special for some reason

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Good Question!,,,, ..the problem is that person does not want to be identified at any cost -- ...so as much as I'd like to point you towards their music (& none of it is online at all now) I'm not allowed to.... we probably will be going back to some stories about that era soon so there will be more that explains things surrounding that era etc. --- 10-4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

<Slave Morality>

Written/Recorded in '04
Released in '05 in Italy on the first edition of 'Decline of the West'
(repressed on vinyl in '06 and then expanded in '08)

"I won't stand idly by...
Don't wanna comfort anyone
No one should feel alright,, around me..
You couldn't lie... but yr whole life is a lie..
And I know the cliche... I know you was afraid..

If you've got some lovin' in yr heart
And yr willing to show me where it starts
Come and show me where it starts

Everybody knows, Everybody knows..
that you couldn't take yr own {medicine}"

* ... when I was 15, leaving my hardcore obsessions behind and deciding to join the larger world of music history I borrowed a Neil Young and David Bowie record from an older friend {the gay deadhead from the Uninhabitable story}-- I'd probably ended up with the wrong records at first so it took a little while to completely lock in,, but for the next 5 years or so (in terms of classic rock) these two (and probably Black Sabbath) became my major chord-progression guides (like they would've to most any kid anywhere that started to wrap their head around them)--,,, >> in Slave Morality you can hear some of the cabaret-style piano Bowie used around the post Ziggy era (the first disc of "David Live") & the downtuned/campfire vibe of Young's basement recording of 'After the Goldrush' etc etc etc... 10-4!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:45 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

<Who Knows What Desperado Means?>

Written/Recorded in '00
Released in '02 on "Enter the Uninhabitable"

"Who really knows what Desperado means?
I doubt Henley himself fully understood the implications of his song
When I'm down Henley picks me up,, gives me a spiritual home
Tells me I can be brave when I'm all alone

Another tribute song for a lonesome savior that helped me in my life..
'You better let someone love you before it's too late'

I can sing 'Doolin' Dalton' all day long
For days on end I sang that song
Everybody thought there's something wrong with that guy
That guy who sings songs by the Eagles

Another tribute song for a lonesome savior that helped my in my life..

* ...this will be a hard one to explain to some people... but around '00 HolySons began playing live shows in Portland, Oregon ...(a wildly irregular feat that continued on for about 10 years or so) - when we started the NW was still very foreign to me,, being an east coast kid... senses of humor and music history were different and in some cases seemed totally un-bridgable -- in some sort of knee-jerk reaction to this I decided to play songs by Bread & the Eagles in our sets from time to time as some sort of continuation of the grand tradition of re-framing popular songs into an underground/punk context <like Sebadoh & Sun City Girls had done> - but like most HolySons stuff,, the NW didn't seem to get it -

..to sum it all up,, I worked in a homeless shelter at the time and had spent some time in the gutters of Boston with an addict buddy who strummed Eagles ballads and opened my eyes to the perfect musicology of certain songs - ...part of the jist is that because this music is so famous,, it ended being the actual folk music for the actually disenfranchised people in America... :: ..like when yr smoking crack in the Appalachian mountains in a trailer with an ex-trucker named Dwayne and he reaches for the turntable... whatta you think these guys are living to,, Sonic Youth?... that's the moment when the Eagles click and you understand the profundity of a song like 'Bitter Creek'..

..regardless,, this whole record was largely made in a bathrobe in a battle against immobilizing depression -- I think I knew it would be the last batch of recordings that I ever did on a 4-track without using computers to edit,, so I left it completely raw & unadorned as some sort of sayonara to the early Daniel Johnston era methodology >>> 4 your enjoyments! :: 10-4

http://holysons.bandcamp.com/album/ente ... nhabitable

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

<I'm Surrounded>

Written/Recorded/Released in '09 on "Criminal's Return"

Everybody said it'd be impossible so don't try..
"Words cannot explain, it can never be attained, its unattainable"
but I could never believe there was a limit to it all..
A limit to what you could know.. I've got to know.

After I break thru to knowledge's other side
I'm gonna look back and wonder why they lied

"Words can not explain" > Everybody said.
"It will never be attained" > Everybody said.
"Its unattainable"
"Don't you even try"
They told me not to try.

Its beyond some sort of fear.
A dark circle inside there.
Somehow they know what they don't want to know..
And I feel I've got to know.

I couldn't believe, couldn't believe, couldn't believe..
there's some sort of fear..
Why do they not want to know?
They know what they don't want to know.
Somehow they must know..
..what they don't want to know..

* ..when I was 17 or so I'd once half-jokingly said to a friend that we should write an entire record where each song started with the words 'Everyone is..' or 'Everything is..' in an attempt to write some sort of revenge-against-everyone mini-opera -- this song finally gets around to that.. giving a big middle finger towards rampant anti-intellectualism,,, an oppression I've always been haunted by,, the conformist/android's opposition to getting down into the guts of societal illness... <a new genre>> Noam Chomsky Rock! -
- the idea of 'knowing what you don't want to know' comes from Sartre's rebuttal of Freud's concept of the Censor... saying that in order for a human being to hide something from itself,, it must know what it is,, in order to stow it where it can't see it and then keep it out of sight...

* ...someone asked Bob Dylan once 'what are yr favorite songs you've written?' and he said 'which ever ones you don't like.' - in some way I assumed this was a song just for me and that other people might find it monotonous... ..I like how it refuses to truncate itself and just keeps going.. somehow fitting with the forest-vibe of the cover art..

* ..'I'm Surrounded' is in the mode of klassic down-tuned/droning home-recording stuff,, but you can hear the drift of Notorious Byrd brothers-era in there fer sure ::

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm 

How about the lyrics/story behind Aged Wine?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Admin

<Aged Wine>

Written & Recorded in '06
Released in '13 on "My Only Warm Coals"

"I'll ferment like a cheap Red Rose Wine,
Buy me up, Drink me up & put me down,
Move on to the next glass of Royal Crown = I'll Age...

There's Jack Hammers rattling in my ears,
I think I'm gonna buy me 100 beers,
To immerse myself, but you'll find me back here

Latvia, Sweden, just far away
If there's gonna be another book [chapter] It better start today,
Embrace me please with a welcome parade! = I'll Age..."

...This one has some parallels/references to Fermenting Mind & Move to Sweden... I think they were probably all done around the same time and, if HolySons functioned like a normal band/artist, these would've been part of the same collection,,, but they're scattered across different releases as HolySons exists in a sort of alternate reality from the traditional music industry pattern,,,, constantly excavating itself & re-defining itself -- "Aged Wine" was actually the title of the first song I recorded for Staying True,, but since I may never get back to re-releasing records that early,, that song probably won't be heard,, which is fine,, because I can still re-use parts anytime for new amalgamations of older melodies -- so I stole the title back and gave it a new meaning that largely deals with themes that everyone feels at some point,,,, being taken for granted and feeling discarded to accumulate dust,,, but secretly being confident that you are about to start another life & blossom outside of another person's oppression.... -- I switched Crown Royal to Royal Crown at the last second because it sounded better,,,, and looking back at the comparisons of people to inebriates,, I think about how glad I am to not be stuck in the mud of that version of my life back then,, that job,, that house,, those people... I was just waiting for the next phase of my life... a horrible feeling that lasted way too long... 10-4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next