It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: General QnA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:58 am 

certain uncertainty relations, if that makes no sense..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUq18Uo0Ncw&feature=related[/youtube]
it'll rhyme with pretence
and confuse for a friend

Last edited by III the sam on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:58 am 

Last edited by LBx on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:55 pm 

In the post you also discuss what is underground music to you and whether or not that label means anything anymore. What are some things that distinguish music as being underground to you? or maybe certain elements that are more or less universal in the music that you are attracted to, a common thread?

I have trouble believing that people actually listen to music on their Ipods,,, it seems possible they are really just listening to themselves being distracted by it. Ipods are not evil in and of themselves, but the Ipod culture was baited and led on by X-mas-time marketing and the not by the love of music...

I have a similar mindset, but I am interested to what extant do you think digital music sharing has destroyed music and how much has it opened opportunity? Was music better off when everyone had to buy lps and sit down to listen without skipping tracks? I probably would never know of Grails if it wasn't for internet music culture, we also wouldn't be having such conversations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:26 pm 

Documentation is entertainment. Enlightenment/cleansing/inner exploration is art. They are symbiotic in an advancing/growing society. The moment you document art it becomes entertainment. This entertainment has ramifications upon new art manifestations. You participate in art, you observe entertainment. You can observe art, but this can only be done during its manifestation. Also only if the artist is wholly consumed with said art to the point that there is no audience. Live performance is art only if the artist has no mind for the audience, it is considered art because no two live performances are the same. You could say each performance is a new manifestation of your own entertainment! Bizznatches! Master Kush is good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:57 am 

I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the idea of deciding conclusively that something isn't art...especially when it's someone else's work. who is anyone to say? I think if it's inspired and sincere, and motivated by a love of the creative process rather than profit/fame/glory/power, then it's probably deserving of the title. when it comes to my own creative work I'm very aware that there is a difference between using my artistic skills, which I do every single day in my work, and actually creating what I would call 'art' which (unfortunately) happens very rarely...but sometimes the line between them gets pretty blurry.

the idea of entertainment being totally separate from art is also a little troubling for me, since some artforms can't really exist without an audience...many of the artists I admire the most could be dismissed as mere entertainers if viewed through that lens. I was literally moved to tears once by a video of my dance teacher performing a sword dance to a piece of music by which she was clearly possessed; was I merely observing or being entertained by that performance as a piece of documentation, or was I participating in it? either way, there's not much you could say to convince me that it wasn't art.

I read an excellent book once called free play by stephen nachmanovitch that I recommend to anyone interested in this thread. if you click on the link below you can read the introduction which explains the general feel of the book... he's a little less rigid than tolstoy in his ideas about what art is.

http://www.freeplay.com/Writings/fpintro.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:53 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next