It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Problem.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Admin

I completely/totally/super agree with you Amy... the idea that a young kid might get vaguely interested in jazz and then hit one button to download all of Miles Davis' records from over the course of half a century in one zip file is somehow disturbing and/or just spoiled and counter-instinctual in terms of the normal amount of time it takes to approach and digest the concept of an artist over the course of their life's work... to offer all the records in one easy-to-not-research place delivers people into a place of less education as it offers them more information in ways... part of the romance of everything in life is waiting// marinating// and living with something before you discover the next thing,,, its hard to say what the real solution is,,... any other opinions?... there's a sliver of optimism in the sense that there's some minor aspect of promotion in it... otherwise,, its not really doing that much of a cultural service by making the entire catalog so easy for people to digest without any effort on their part. 10-4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 pm 

The romantic age of records is pretty much over. Those good old days (everybodys talkin bout the good old days) of feeling the anticipation for a record you really want to hear and you wait buy the record to listen intently and fully absorb the music for the first time, experiencing the record as it was intended.. those days are almost over.

I say almost because you still can experience music like this if you choose to. The new Evangelista record "In Animal Tongue" is coming out in September and I'm gonna wait to hear that beast in all it's glory on vinyl wax and it will be incredible! BUT will the record be available in most stores? Most of the time I go to a record store and they have to order in what I want. So if that's the case why don't I just order it myself from the artist, pay less, and cut out the middleman? Sad but true.

For this digital age Bandcamp seems to be pretty legit. Might be something to consider. You can put out a record, let the consumer decide the price and offer some incentive like bonus tracks or the like for a purchase of 10$ or more. Then if enough sales are made it could warrant a limited edition physical release. It takes away most of the magic but could work for those in a position of already having a decent amount of people interested in their music.

It's pretty fucked the way shit is nowadays..... but there's not much sense fighting the flow. There is a good/bad, up/down for everything. So embrace this digitalshitage, adapt and grow. Those who are real will persevere, if they are able or even want to. For though drastically different, there will always be a market for good music. Who knows maybe people will wake up to this regurgitated lifeless formulation of media they are fed and actually stop buying the bullshit. Then our culture can begin to evolve while quality artists teach the populace and deliver the real goods. No that can't happen, the world will collapse!

(Edited to say: mp3s are convenient AND sound like poop. i hope physical formats continue to exist and quality artist continue to release them. I'll buy em! Got a few records coming up that I'm psyched for. Shit aint dead yet..)

Last edited by mobese on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

...that dude's words stink off of the page without even hearing his fucking retarded voice,,, so here's what these beautiful informational freedoms are bringing us by putting the money back in the hands of the suits... Yayyyyy Brave New Krappy world!!!,,, 10-4

ps. that Type Records format totally makes sense fer sure... I'd be into that.

"Spotify continues to refuse to clarify how much it pays or even reveal how many times an artist has been streamed via its site."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:56 pm 

I was reading about spotify and their nonexistent royalties the other day on the pledgemusic site...really shonky. the internet entrepreneurs of today are truly some of the worst people on the planet. I don't think the whole new world need be this 'krappy' though... you can't stop people from downloading your albums, but you can still refuse to give cunts like this the right to profit from them.

I can't confirm the truth of this claim, but someone told me the other day that vinyl sales are actually increasing globally...presumably while cd sales still drop. the recent appearance of vinyl in music chain-stores here would seem to confirm that it is becoming popular again...perhaps people aren't that willing to part with the 'object' after all? I know I've been buying more new music on vinyl since records started being packaged with an mp3 download card.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:24 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next