It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Problem.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:33 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 pm 

pitchfork...

GRAILS - Doomsdayer's Holiday - 7.6/10

KANYE WEST - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - 10/10

...the tribe has spoken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:04 am 

No problem here, at least by my count.

I think of the universe working just like complex Electrocardiogram, involving a few extra dimensions (like time, size) that we (I) don't understand. Everything is relative to something else; Hot's only hot thanks to cold; And Chomsky's brilliance/popularity only exists due to the fact that there are thousands of people (like myself) that are unlike him. Furthermore, the Grails albums are so good (at least for those in this forum) only cause Kanye West's music is so bad.
And the part we struggle with, is coping with the fact that Kanye West's music sounds so good to others. Why? We are constantly trying to depolarize the universe. All the while, we know what happens when the EKG flatlines so to speak.

If you think the universe/humanity is going to take a turn for the better (I think that's how I interpreted one of the discussions in this particular thread), it only tells me you thought it was shitty up till this point, and that you didn't appreciate the cause and consequence up to this point. I live in Califorina, and I've come to understand that everything I love about it (mountains, riparian wetlands, the flora, ocean shores, rivers, blah blah blah) exists only thanks to volcanoes, earthquakes, fires, floods... basically, all the shit we fear.

And what a boring/miserable/piece of shit movie would Stars Wars would have been if Luke Skywalker spent the audiences time saying 'Well fuck me, why can't Darth Vader be more like myself?' I hope this thread isn't that movie, cause frankly, I'm glad everybody loves Kayne West.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:19 am 

Hmm, the hipster article brings up a lot of great points about said hipster culture like the perversion of art and rebellious culture in a capitalist system, marketing meets art kids. I think the writer's otherwise good arguments were undermined by his own unfounded criticism (which was quite extreme in parts). An interesting read though, the comments are pretty great as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:30 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 pm 

I think some of the criticism of hipster culture is unfounded because in my experience there are always going to be people who cling to a scene or a movement for the most transparent face value reasons. The hipster movement is flooded with transparent values unfortunately, but to make the judgment that all kids wearing skinny jeans are total self absorbed douche-bags just leads to everyone hating hipsters and hipsters feeling that they're better than everyone else. That said it is a pretty amazing movement in the sense that it has no real cause or reaction or whatever you want to call it. It basically seems like a mode of identification through fashion that isn't linked to anything deeper. Kinda like 60's throwback without the cultural value of the 60's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm 

it would seem that the quality of music is only a minor side-effect of the real problem. that being the viral spreading of the mass man by means of the constantly upgrading technological web of information. we live in an increasingly isolating environment and this is certainly not by coincidence. to me it seems that most forms of popular media are carefully filtered weighing in how they will affect the mind of the mass man. of course, only ideas that coincide with or benefit the machine would be promoted.

what i mean to say is we live in a time of brainwashing on a massive scale and this has lead to a decrease in intelligence, motivation, community and an increase in alienation, isolation, paranoia and fear. and all these attributes are necessary to keep the gears spinning. cogs that aren't properly in place may begin to move in the wrong direction.

everywhere i look i see well-placed distractions that serve a very real purpose. in my mind, these distractions are here to keep people from realizing where the true power lies in our society, which is in the hands of the people. if more and more people were to realize this and began to form communities with one another then this would pose a serious threat to the capitalistic/consumerist body at work.

i want to shatter the facade. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:40 pm 

also, i'm very interested in these threads of spiritually tinged optimism. 2012 probably won't usher in a new era of transcendental consciousness and no the unwilling wont be sent to eternal hellfire.

and on another note, i find it incredibly disheartening to think that AMERICA has sucessfully conquered the world. even as i witness the decline of our magnificent empire, i know wholeheartedly the legacy will live on. just like a virus, the western consumerist mindset has spread its rotted tentacles to nearly every corner of the globe thus ensuring no foreseeable demise to current state of affairs. the torch is lit and when dropped someone will surely pick it up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:55 pm 

This thread has reminded me of a section from Song of Myself:

I heard what the talkers were talking, the talk of the beginning and the end,
But I do not talk of the the beginning or the end.

There was never anymore inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.
Urge and urge and urge,
Always the procreant urge of the world.

Whitman's overall cosmic vision and universality seem more and more prophetic in modern society though it has been swept into the cracks of academia. Someone said something similar earlier in the thread, a fatalist point of view on things seems kind of self negating because you are already letting yourself be defeated by whatever you stand in opposition to. The quote seemed quite relevant to a lot of ideas running through my head lately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next