It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Jandek
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

yeah,, I'd say Blue Corpse and Follow yr Footsteps are the best entry points because you can see a possible link to other classic weirdo blues/folk ...like maybe the most out songs on Oar by Skip Spence... ...a better way might be to go backwards thru what he's influenced... one of my favorite songs by Smog is 'Stalled on the Tracks'... a couple of my favorite Eric Gaffney songs are "Cyster" and "Drifts on Thru" ...all of which sound like Jandek's drawling/snarling woozy tone at times... (the aesthetic of early Smog... songtitles//imagery seems heavily influenced by Jandek) ...it would take a thesis paper to explain Jandek but, for me, the element that impressed me the most was that he could write a folk/blues style "song" but have it be so open and immediately raw/real that the form could be totally improvised and smash thru the trappings of basic song structure... as Berman once sang "we're trapped inside the song! and the night is so long!"
...Jandek is the act of capturing himself on the tape as he is in real-time,,, a kind of recorded investigation of one's self... instead of presenting a composed sonic product...
...and so in some ways his song-form is actually more about the doing of it more than the act of listening to it for me if this makes any sense... a radical Taoist stance!... and I totally understand someone having trouble enjoying the listen-back at times y'know...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6ALUgQ_vU&feature=related[/youtube]