It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: HolySons lyrics
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:59 am 

A Chapter Must Be Closed

i cant help but feel like its my favourite holy sons song
it goes on almost everyday straight after work with a sip and a puff without fail
it makes me melt everytime, all the time, its fkn silky as hell
spin me a yarn about this track brother

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Slow Days::.. is a strange one cuz out of almost any song ever I can't remember when it was written...
I know that a few years ago the melody came into my head,, but it seemed borrowed either from myself or someone else,, to the extent that I never recorded it cuz it just seemed like a song that already existed... but the last year or two I've been revisiting old songs more than ever//a new phase of relating to myself and the past,, and it seemed stupid not to document the melody--
To be totally honest,, I thought of Slow Days as almost a tribute song to the effect that Robert Pollard had on everyone in the early 90's...and a blend of AM radio 70's songs (Carpenters, Linda Ronstadt),, the discordant/but effeminate sound of Shudder to Think's 10 spot/Funeral at the Movies,, but mostly it's roots are in the anthemic Pollard songs like this one that totally blow me away,, it's just too good::

...a couple months ago I was moving things around in the basement and an old tape from around '95 fell out,, I picked it up and it has a song called 'Slow Dayz' on it,, I'm so busy with working on new stuff that I haven't had time to listen to it,,, but it's getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't know that I'd written it like 15 years ago...

"Slow Days don't hold over,, Easy on your brain
When ya throw the clock away,, It just comes back again in it's own way..."

When I was a real little one and I'd go over to Schoolkids records during the days to talk shit,,, Mac from Merge/Superchunk worked there and would humor me,, the day Vampire on Titus/Propeller came out he handed it to me and said 'since you like Sebadoh you should check this out'... it took me awhile to decide that it was totally great because Vampire is one of Pollard's rougher moments,, but now with hindsight it's obvious some of his greatest songs are on Propeller ('Unleashed! The Large-Hearted Boy', 'Weed King', '14 Cheerleader Coldfront') >>>after you deliver songs like that you just can't be taken out of the history books...10-4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:49 pm 

great story!!
really feeling this track. the sax is crucial
what the hell is going on at 3.55? sounds like he is scrunching up a love note next to the mic
yeah man, i can totally feel the Sade
reminds me of this game i used to play with a friend called...'ARTHUR RUSSELL? or SADE?' where you would get to hear a 2 or 3 seconds of a track and have to decide whose voice it was

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 pm 

I thought Slow Days was the best track, at first, but it's definitely Reckless Liberation. It's just so smooth. It's one of the tracks that shows a departure from your earlier stuff the most. It's also good at 45 rpms, as it turns out.

By the way, I'm new to LP collecting. Is it bad to spin a 33 at 45?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 pm 

Ghost Ego lyrics, please.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 am 
Site Admin

<Ghost Ego>

Written/Recorded in '03
Released in '04 on the Split 7" w/ Dolorean

"You've walked so long,, so you think you can stand up
You've talked so long,, so you think you can say what you think you see
You've been everyone// everyone ever wanted you to be
But it's still so sad to me...
To rise to God's test and pity the rest
To wish that they'd learn but to not even care..."

...one of the rarest in the released catalog,,, along with many other random songs that could make up a special comp. if I really had the time to put it together... these lyrics may be referencing a Carl Rogers 'becoming human' stance but it's hard to remember...,, if you think these are cocky there's a lot more from the late 90's period that top this in overt condescensions!... 10-4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 am 

Your earlier recordings do sound more misanthropic. No offense. Also, we need to catalog these lyrics, somehow.

Do you know them from memory, or do you have them all compiled, in a spreadsheet or notebook?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin

There are more misanthropies yet to come my friend!,,, Alex and I are actually building a new website called the 'Holy Sons Archive' (to replace the old one) and it shouldn't be too much longer before it's done... It's set up pretty simply to catalog all the information really easily... I hadn't thought we should definitely add lyrics but if it's helpful I think we could include them pretty easily... other ideas have been to archive the videos//discography//artwork//progress reports//and a radio station of various 'call of the wild' collage tapes for maximum entertainment... ...any additional ideas are always welcome though>>>awesome! 10-4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm 

Maybe it's not possible, but if you could link your archive to psm.org (yrstruly) so functions we have here, like user posting, can be utilized there, so if, say, someone comes along, wanting to post about their most profound epiphanies they had while listening to one of your songs, or some such thing, they can jot it down, etc. Or just keep it anonymous. No need to login, and so on. Either one could work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next