It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: HolySons lyrics
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:11 am 
Site Admin

<Song from the Conscience>

- written/recorded '05
- released '08 (Decline Expanded)

"If music makes you feel like you're better than everybody else
that wouldn't be good,, never could be good?
Can anybody make money off my songs?,, with this much time,, with this much taste!
tell me if that's good,, can't see if that's good...
I can't decide if it's for my own therapy,, I could've been peddling long ago
is that good?
You know I don't wanna insult you,, I set out to make songs that never insult anyone!...

I went to the church // I couldn't stand as high
I will not live in anybody else's mind but my own...
Keep me out of your magazines,, you should not put me in the magazines,, you should not

I wouldn't specifically pursue being on the news when I did something bad and didn't wanna get caught (I need to fall back on something),,
but that's just the difference between me and you,, I wouldn't get myself in your place... (I think I need to fall back on something)
No I can't decide if it's for my own therapy,, I could've been peddlin' long ago...
I'm just not trying to be anybody's friend!
(not trying to get anywhere)"

this is a thorny one... in the summer of '04 Alex and I decided to get back to our roots and spend most weekends on tripping things... (The most significant of songs that came from these sessions was 'Blank Sheet' after becoming haunted by the sense that behind the universe was nothing// no gears// no god,, ...just a blank white sheet that I was beginning to see up in the sky) --
One night I made the cliche mistake of thinking the mushrooms may not be strong enough and downed an extra dose... I went downstairs with the bouzouki our violinist had left in my garage (that really made songs like 'erosion blues') and started 4-tracking with the few lyrics I'd jotted down... I made it through the first verse and things were sounding pretty good but then my mind began to totally detach and drift away from the guitar, the song and it's meaning --
As a strange feeling was overtaking me, the act of recording the song started to become pretty irrelevant and I began to get into the lyrics more and more and more,, scribbling away on little memo pad pages and ripping them out as I went... these began to cover the floor and eventually covered every square inch of the entire basement as I couldn't seem to run out of ideas... sometimes the pages would just be one line that encapsulated a seemingly massive discovery in my mind... and, as usual, when going back to some of the diatribes the next day I could barely understand what they meant... I'm pretty sure a lot of these ripped out pages are still buried behind the box my four-track still sits on... I've already searched around a little bit for the picture someone took the next day of the ripped pages covering the entire basement floor surrounding the four-track but it's nowhere! and it's pissing me off that I'll never see it again...

Obviously there was an enormous well of total bitterness waiting inside my psyche that had accumulated from the 90's and the feeling that I would never break thru the wall of complete and utter evil bullshit in the world of music culture and get to a point where I could just make records and get them out blah blah... that bitterness definitely lurks the song, but the mushrooms made it all turn inside out... so that the meaning of the lyric bounces back and forth thru different perspectives that work to mock my situation... trying to deflate/empower the ego and destroy//exalt the bitterness (not sure which one)... when re-recording it later I'm not sure I knew exactly what some of the lines really meant... -as tripping will do,, you feel empowered to the point that you are one with the most powerful force and are not afraid of anything... making you capable of making fun of yourself as a separate entity (see the introduction to Be Here Now by Ram Dass)... this seemed like a great way to approach a song...
Part of the gist is basically that we are helpless to a world of solipsism in the end when determining our own values... as if I was telling myself that there's nothing beyond my own apprehension of artistic success (and turning away from the daily bile-inducing habit of seeing the machinations of fame as a process destroying people's ability to think on their own terms etc.)...

Around that time this really weird case was in the news in Portland everyday where the killer of these two girls had gone on TV to talk about them (before he'd been accused) in some bizarre attempt to get famous...

see:

...somehow my mind latched onto his strange compulsion to get famous in the face of committing heinous crimes... regardless,, I bet the line "I wouldn't specifically pursue being on the news when I did something bad and didn't wanna get caught..." might've made it into the song anyway for the amount of baggage I'd already had about the search for affirmation from others...

"I would've sold myself but I felt ashamed..."
-Fred Neil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:43 pm 

..One of these brief moments. Worthy and fleeting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 pm 

one of my favs. harrowing,! great story!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:51 pm 

<Golden Child>

- written/recorded '07
- released '10 (Survivalist Tales)

I thought I was the golden child
I thought I was the golden child

I came out to the big parade
I laughed, looked down on who had stayed
Embarrassed now and I'm bitter sometimes
I learned to expect a patterned mind
I feel surrounded but I must bust through
I know the weakness of the gate-keepers too
Everyday the masters get weaker
Everyday the slaves get stronger
I'm so tired now that I'm gonna wake up
I'm tipping over tables so you know I've shown up
I thought I was the golden child...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 am 
Site Admin

......lyrical jamz
for Golden Child::

- I'm pretty sure I was walking thru the Rose Parade while writing those lyrics (rip Elliot Smithsss)... and it's definitely still an embarrassing event... there are articles every year here about redneck families physically fighting for their spot on the sidewalk,, sleeping on the street overnight to secure their lawnchair zone for watching painted ponies and car dealership floats go by///
- 'Golden Child' was trying to nail down a more specific anti-humanist sentiment (keeping topics consistent)... (but there's a chapter in Existentialism and Human Emotions by Sartre that does it better)
- "Everyday the masters get weaker, Everyday the slaves get stronger" comes from a scrawled note that (a collaborator from Boston) had left me... the note is superimposed onto the collage inside the foldout panels of Decline of the West (with the frisbee dog and Charlie Rich)...
- "I'm tipping over tables" comes from an incident in a bar on the beach of Sri Lanka in '98... an old friend and I had a big argument and I lost my temper and flipped over an entire table of drinks,, breaking all the glasses etc... the staff didn't even blink for some reason...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:46 pm 

Man, I wasn't even close with some of those lines.

You said how this is your most polished album. My brother noticed that right away. It was the first thing he said when I played it for him. Golden Child is pretty much the only song where I had any trouble understanding them.

Great album, if I haven't said it already. Not trying to stroke egos or anything, but I've been listening to it repeatedly.

If you want to verify these real quick, I'd appreciate it.

A Chapter Must be Closed

See your old clothes on some junkies back
Watch your furniture get up, and disappear
Have pity on those, who have to suffer from their own hands
And watch what they have get up and disappear

A chapter must be closed
A chapter must be closed
It can't go on and on and on and on
You gotta shut it down, to start it up again

I'm not gonna rise up like a Phoenix from the fire
I hold hands with the whole wide world on an endless sunny day
Why can't people accept it may just be, the way it always was
They're so wrapped up in fantasy

Oh, a chapter must be closed
A chapter must be closed

From Home

You're always wearing fancy clothes
Down in clubs, and the late night shows
Where you get your money, no one knows from whom
You run a big expensive car
You come and go like a movie star
And with your money you could stray far from home

I get this terrible feeling that comes on strong
I need your loving and I can't wait long
I've tried to see you, but you're always gone from home

You're always out in the fancy clothes, down in clubs and the late night shows
Where you get your money, that, no one knows (4x)

By the way, we really should get these lyrics archived.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

virtually 100%!

<A Chapter Must be Closed>

- written '06
- recorded '08
- released '10 (Survivalist Tales)

See your old clothes on some junkies back
Watch your furniture get up and disappear
Have pity on those who've gotta suffer from their own hand
And watch what they have get up and disappear

A chapter must be closed
A chapter must be closed
You gotta shut it down to start it up again

I'm not gonna rise up like a Phoenix from the fire and fly away
not gonna hold hands with the whole wide world on an endless sunny day
Why can't people accept it may just be the way it always was
They're so wrapped up in fantasy

Oh, a chapter must be closed
A chapter must be closed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

watch these vids for the lyrical differences or download the Troggs song somewhere,,, it's prettttty different... no one's seemed to notice that it's a cover...

From Home:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QB6xjpOhk0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 am 

Oh, man. I only just realized that now. You posted that video in another topic, but I never realized it was a cover. Cover-ish, actually. They're two different animals.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:23 pm 

Does anyone know the lyrics to the first line in "Slow Days" (the part before the "when you throw the clock away" lyrics)? For the life of me I can't discern what Emil is singing there. One of my favorite songs on the album, nonetheless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next