It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 am 

All of the artists in this forum have their Floydian moments in music, sometimes openly (Grails - Acid Rain), OM (wagging tongues might even argue that Om repeatedly covers 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun'), Holy Sons ('From Now On') - sometimes covertly. Anyway, the examples are chosen by chance and I do not want to search for direct comparisons here. Let's talk about Pink Floyd instead.

I got into them when I was about 14 years old. A friend of my father gave me 'Wish you were here' and pretty soon I was hooked. Until that album music never played such a big part in my life. My parents had terrible to no taste at all and so I never 'inherited' anything. So Pink Floyd opened the gate to a lot of good music for me.

So... favorite albums, moments, stories - let's hear them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:54 am 

I've never listened to a Floyd album in my 36+ years :oops:
Been meaning to check out Animals for ages.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 am 

Animals is one of my favorites but I've been listening to the first albums lately. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:28 am 

As a devoted admirer of Glenn Blanca, allow me to invite you to witness the collision:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:34 pm 

I had my first acid trip listening to Dark Side of The Moon. I remember we didn't set it up, but somehow the record ended up on as a natural evolution in our trip, which somehow protected the journey from any cliche.

At the point the record came on I was having serious visulisations. The lounge room we were in had 70's style carpet with brown circular patterns. During parts of the record, these circular patterns appeared neon and to my eyes were actually lifting up from the floor and existing in some sort of 3D neon network. It was quite amazing.

I remember 'Time' being perhaps the most amazing musical experience of my life. It scared the shit out of me but at the same time was so beautiful (something that Doomsdayer's Holiday has done for me on many occasions). During this track I actually thought I was somehow collapsing in on myself and was going to die. I could feel and see the music coming into my head and felt this overwhelming feeling of an inevitable self implosion. Of course, I was most likely just falling asleep and extremely tired, but nonetheless it was an amazing experience that was really only pushed to that severity with the aid of Dark Side of The Moon.

That is my Pink Floyd story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:48 am 

my dad used to constantly rave about 'dark side..' and unfortunately i never ever payed him any mind. He even went as far as to get it out to explain to me the bizarre timing in 'money' whilst it was playing. I knew there was something special about them, but like most great things from a time long ago, i either was too young to realise what was going on, or too naive to understand how important certain things were. A few bitter years i started smoking and only listening to 'older' music. Naturally they grew on me an from then on in its been nothing but enjoyable discoveries and deep deep soaking. The first time i ate acid was horribly hectic and quite scary, i remember the sun coming up and still couldn't get to sleep so we watched some all night music video bullshit we got in Australia called....RAGE...it was hosted by that bearded dude from the flaming lips, who was playing all of his favourite tripped out music videos. They played a small section of 'live at Pompeii' and i remember laughing at how ridiculously good it made me feel
BLISS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:38 pm 

live at Pompeii is probably my favourite band movie of all time and a bench mark for all others to follow.
it showcases to me just how tight that band got with each other, making it all the more depressing to know that certain selfish forces were already beginning to permeate and tear apart a solid unit.
that said, i could sit and watch them bust out echoes on repeat for days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 am 

i remember the first time i took note of pink floyd (i may have been exposed to them before it, but this was the moment of ensnarement). i was young, maybe 6, and at my dad's friend's house during a party. he had a big tv which was pretty ballin' for the 80s, and the video for learning to fly came on. i stood so close, with my nose brushing the screen. when it ended, i fitted. he must've had it on tape because i remember that he put it back on for me. for a while after that, when we'd go to visit him i'd go right to the tv and put my nose on it. it was my nonverbal way of saying put some f-in floyd on.

used to listen to meddle on repeat a lot while defragging in bed; it's grown on me something fierce. although the dying penguin guitar moment in echoes didn't always make for comfortable bedtime listening.

i think my favorite album of all has to be atom heart mother. title track + fat old sun are some of my favorite sounds ever, and i just love what poured out of gilmour once he started fucking around more and singing. green is the color is another favorite song. i've also got a supersoft spot for the live at pompeii video, especially saucerful of secrets - that's some nice wailing imo.

stopping myself here, but i do love the shit outta pf. soul tickling business from the start for me. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:44 am 

Great stories, thank you.