It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: General QnA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

There is!,, honestly 2013 is probably when I can really devote myself to the Decline II project though - Instead of carving time out for that this year I'll definitely get around to updating the BandCamp page with some lost tracks at some point,, there'll will be a video we filmed in my house of a new song premiering in a couple months,, that will give me a good occasion to dump some older demos down and make'm available,,, off the top of my head there are probably 4 more lost songs from the same Type Foundry reels that made up 'Chords of Fame', 'Thorns' and 'From Now On' etc..,, we'll get'em out,, it'll just take time...

2012 should definitely have::

Lilacs & Champagne
Jandek "Seattle Friday" (Emil, Liz=Grouper, Sam Coomes=Quasi/Elliot Smith)
Om
Warm Coals Expanded
Black Tar 5

and *more*

we've got up to 3 more releases slowly brewing,, who knows when we can realize'em-- 10-4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:41 pm 

You guys are some of the hardest working groups out there. These new releases are gonna be so nice. I don't mean to keep haranguing you about this, but the more physical the better. Even if it's a generic cd-r burned off a commodore 64 (not possible, I know) and thrown in the most basic cardstock sleeve, physical is always good. I don't buy much digital music. Every once in a while I do...

I'm sure you're not exactly swimming in dough, so I'm not trying to grief you over a couple of bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:42 am 

A bit out of topic in terms of recent posts, but I would love to see the lyrics anthologized on the holy sons site. Is there a chance you could set up a lyrics archive?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:14 am 

not so much a question, but i demand a response!

talk to me about: Joe Preston. i hear he's a regular show-goer in yr neck of the woods and all around great guy/cat lover. (i've missed every Thrones show i'd had the chance of attending.)

talk to me about: Derek Monypeny

Post subject: Question to Emil
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:05 am 

Hello, this is my first post. I just wanted to ask something indirectly music related.

During one of your earlier podcasts with Duncan you mentioned taking philosophy classes and even taking lead of an Existentialism class in university.

Could you talk a little about which philosophers effected you the most in university?

Also, certain philosophers really come out in Decline of the West.

Do you still take influence from philosophy when creating music in the Holy Sons and more specifically, what influence has it played in Volume II?

Very interested and thank you once more.
I will be buying Volume II immediately!

Matthew

Post subject: Re: Question to Emil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Admin

peppers wrote:
Could you talk a little about which philosophers effected you the most in university?

..This requires a way bigger answer than I can rattle off while Om is on tour (we're in Germany tonight).. ..but I'll try rattle off something fast about the things that effected me the most...
- one day before college I was glancing around my girlfriend's bedroom and found a copy of Nausea underneath her bedside table... I picked it up and just reading the description on the back of the book changed my life... in a way,, everything was different... its a little bit like hearing your favorite song of all time for the first time and being stunned as it makes it's imprint on you,, but the place where the knowledge is coming from is already complete inside of you... -as I got into the book,, for probably the first time in my life,, I realized that there were other people somewhere in time that had gone thru this certain kind of not-at-home-ness in the universe//and horrible feelings about very normal aspects of life that everyone else seemed to accept with no resistance at all --..my affection for Sartre grew really fast until the point where I felt like he was,, to some sane degree,, some sort of blood relative --
..soon after this I was at my grandmother's house (around age 17) and randomly picked Crime and Punishment off of a bookshelf and from the first sentence had found another sense of brotherhood that arced over time and geography,,. after that,, full of enthusiasm,, I ran down the obvious line thru Kafka & Camus all the way to Ken Wilber etc.. but nothing ever really came close to those first 2 experiences and nothing ever seemed to make as much direct sense in the end --

I took philosophy to very serious lengths until around the time I tried getting thru "What is Called Thinking?" by Heidegger... hands down the most ridiculous thing I've ever set eyes on -- Schopenhauer was interesting,, and Nietzsche was the only other true deep phase I had::

Slave Morality:: http://philosophy.lander.edu/intro/articles/nietzsche-a.pdf

..at the end of college I switched over to focusing on Psychology as I started to feel it was more a place where I could apply what I learned from Philosophy... ...the book that epitomized that change was Jung's massive 2 volume interpretation of Thus Spake Zarathustra,, which I remember satisfying something in me that Hegel never would... I became convinced Jung was one of the greatest geniuses mankind has ever birthed and to this day would probably have more fun talking about him than most figures in this lineage... but still retain all of those initial affinities for sure! 10-4

Post subject: Re: Question to Emil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:01 pm 

Thank you so much, it means a lot!

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:15 am 

The intro to Back To The Monastery...

how the hell?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

As far as I remember Alex was messing with gregorian-type organ samples in his room one night around 2004 or 5,, crushing and pitching them,,, we actually brought some drums upstairs and set them up next to his bed, plugged in a mic and that song just kind of happened... at the time those guitar melodies were pretty heavily influenced by Erkin Koray,,, but yeah,, the opening was originally a sample that we had to imitate live... you can hear that on the recording that came out of a show in Boston on the Important comp.//or in the hard drive failure mp3 pak >> KILLER // 10-4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 am 

Brilliant! It was always be my earliest memory of Grails. It has that whole 'trouble is coming' kinda mood.

spill the beans on the More Extinction drum break

: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next