It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: General QnA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:13 pm 

I need someone to hint at where I can hear Alan Bishop in 'Predestination Blues'.

Post subject: Re: General QnA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:18 am 

I would guess the throat singing sounding vocals in the interlude of the song are Alan Bishop.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 pm 

http://vimeo.com/7387182

...take the Predestination Bishop Challenge here...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 am 

was the cover of the Black Tar Prophecies Vol 4 vinyl supposed to be kind of blurry? I imagined the artwork would look really sharp (like all the text does) so I was a bit surprised when I opened it up and it looked kind of like it was printed from a web picture

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:27 am 

The cover image was blown up from an old/tiny image on a paperback book about 3 inches wide... this is just part of the breaks of manufacturing records,, something always comes back looking a little different and after about 10 years of struggling to refine this process, we've learned there's no way to control everything all the time (but we try anyway)... Grails also generally pushes for slightly more unique imagery instead of striving to be ultra polished (you could say the same for the music)... ...not sure if we will use that as the definitive cover image for the CD version but it will look killer smaller if it ends up defining the Black Tar comp. this time around (((but I remember noticing it was slightly blurry too when we got it back so I agree)... Word//10-4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:45 pm 

alright, sounds about right. As long as it wasn't just a mistake or something. it's what's inside the jacket that matters, anyway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 am 

-who is the short fused meditator in the 'More Extinction' video and what is the film?

-is the Buddha statue in the video for 'Predestination Blues' the same one from the picture on Robbie Basho's Guitar Soli?

-whats so good about Mifune?

-is your love really bigger than a big ol cadillac?

-what were you drinking in Switzerland show in 2004 and did you really hit up the redlight district?

-whats something that you would know about Coconut Grove that no one could ever possibly know?

- @ roughly 2 minutes into 'Back to the Monastery', what is the nice sounding stringed instrument seeping through, oud?saz?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

-who is the short fused meditator in the 'More Extinction' video and what is the film?

...this is one of the closest guarded secrets of our lives... but try watching the original Hulk series with Bill Bixby...

-is the Buddha statue in the video for 'Predestination Blues' the same one from the picture on Robbie Basho's Guitar Soli?

...I think Guitar Soli is my favorite Basho record,, but no they aren't the same as far as I remember-- ps. I'm selling off a super rare original copy of The Falconer's Arm I here if anyone's interested: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=UNCONFUSED

-whats so good about Mifune?

What's so good about Laurence Olivier or Bobcat Goldthwait? ...I liked Volume 1 of this movie for the implications of refusing the safe domestication in remaining a farmer and finding an autonomous discipline in adventurism!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su8XSwBpIjA
...it's sampled in the song 'The Fact Facer' where he's yelling something to the effect of 'I am not an animal!' ...the next volumes didn't seem quite as rad,, more weepy... kind of like the ending of Crime and Punishment where he just gives in for no apparent reason...

-is your love really bigger than a big ol cadillac?

Probably not... I'd emphasize 'the world was beating me down' part more...
but see: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/7930/

-what were you drinking in Switzerland show in 2004 and did you really hit up the redlight district?

...was I drinking something unusual?... around that time I would've been addicted to Czech beer,, but that has since shifted to various other alcohols... where do you think the title of the second record came from??

-whats something that you would know about Coconut Grove that no one could ever possibly know?

...when I was about 6 my father drove up onto the sidewalk (Bruce Willis style) with me in the truck and apprehended a purse-snatcher using a shotgun...

-@ roughly 2 minutes into 'Back to the Monastery', what is the nice sounding stringed instrument seeping through, oud?saz?

...that's a shitty little Bouzouki our old violinist left in my garage with a pile of odd car parts and baby pictures... basically a mandolin with a gourd-shaped back to it...

Last edited by unconfused on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29 am 

mate, you made my day! :D

-I need a better clue than that! why so secretive? I would love to know what troubles this guru
-dig the Mifune tube, i think he does alot better as a well dressed frantic cop chasing his gun, rather than a overweight, smug samurai

Q
-where is the sample, 'You can always go back to being weak willed and undisciplined' from?
-whats the deal with mr. Horner and the wolves? for real...
-have you had to deal with any legal issues regarding the footage in Acid Rain? how do you tackle that kind of thing?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

-I need a better clue than that! why so secretive? I would love to know what troubles this guru
-where is the sample, 'You can always go back to being weak willed and undisciplined' from?
-have you had to deal with any legal issues regarding the footage in Acid Rain? how do you tackle that kind of thing?

What troubles the guru is impatience my friend! ...I probably shouldn't be going into what I stole for the DVD for these exact copyright reasons,,... ...the sample is from the same episode,, you just have to watch the Hulk,, but I'm not sure that's going to bring you much satisfaction,, it's one of those memories of a show you saw as a kid that just isn't that good when you pull it back up... I bought the soundtrack awhile back and immediately sold it... 'twas terrible... Knight Rider on the other hand is like Mozart er some shit...

-dig the Mifune tube, i think he does alot better as a well dressed frantic cop chasing his gun, rather than a overweight, smug samurai

...you've got something against pretentious fatties then?... they've done the world a lot of good (Ben Franklin,... I digress)... I think it's more of what the Samurai means that's got a timeless draw,, there's more glory there than the concept of a cop,,, but I know what you mean,, I might ultimately like watching detective movies more but they aren't quite as thematically deep as the the right kind of Samurai jam..
(maybe try The Sword of Doom, Incident at Blood Pass, Samurai Spy, Throne of Blood) ... Samurai theme= leaving the homestead, domestication and safety to go out and fight the elements of the world on your own,, pursue honor,, pursue greatness,,... it's just a spiritual metaphor to me...
...but yeah,, the cop role for Mifune was rad and the impetus for the song title 'Stray Dog' ....there's also the HolySons song 'The Bad Sleep Well' for another non-samurai Mifune reference...

Q
-whats the deal with mr. Horner and the wolves? for real...

not sure what direction to take this... do you have a more specific inquiry?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next