It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: The Problem.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:06 am 

Quote:
if the rewards for making genuinely good art, monetary or otherwise, were actually reflective of the time/vision/effort involved, perhaps we would start to see more of it.

The above line kinda brings it all home for me in regard to what I was getting at, and begs the question: What rewards, monetary or otherwise would be reflective of the time/vision/effort involved?

No denying that the day job sucks the creativity out of you. I haven't written creatively for my own pleasure in a long ass time, but I'm also eternally busy/lazy/terrified of producing mediocre work. I can't figure out if the answer is just to produce constantly, or to produce very selectively. Someday I'll get over that, or I won't. But if I do, I sure as hell don't expect you all to pay to read the shit. It probably wouldn't be worth the $9.99 for your e-reader anyway.

And Eschaton clearly knows what's up. Shouldn't it all be universally accessible?

We ARE seeing more art/music/etc, and I'd argue that we're actually struggling to parse through it all. I'm not necessarily saying it's all good art, in fact I'd argue that in total, the signal to noise ratio is pretty disproportionately noisy. But that's part of what everybody suddenly having the ability to throw something out there for public consumption leads to. I'd further argue that there's still MORE good art being produced now than there used to be. It's just not as apparent because there's MORE art period being produced in general. Good luck finding it though, right?

And I'm hardly saying rules should be applied to anybody at all, outside of what I'd apply to myself.

The struggle to communicate with the outer world, as Emil puts it, is a universal one for "real" artists, and not really one that is ever likely to be truly won. Victory in that war is a probably a bad thing anyway. Winning it and being universally loved just leads to artists believing their own bullshit, and making bad art as a result, restarting said struggle. Paraphrasing some obscure eastern sounding Nietzschean b.s. here, "the elite is a slave class." so know that you're right, but continue to serve. Be the boddhisatva, artists! The struggle is what makes the art good in the first place.

Sure it's hard, but what thing that's worth doing hasn't been hard? Except masturbation; that's easy and totally worth doing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 am 

"death is swallowed up in victory" - ?

The struggle often produces great results, but remember.. easy does it

Attachments:
bob-ross.jpg
bob-ross.jpg [ 173.34 KiB | Viewed 7395 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm 

If not THE, no doubt this is part of the PROBLEM:

http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_wh ... phere.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 pm 

I like the link Remote Listener posted, I think it can be important to look at how we are much like monkeys.

All the Harry Harlow experiments with monkeys fascinated me around the same time I was fascinated by the horrible strangeness of things like lone wolf shooter types, because my teen angst made me feel like I was like a monkey being tormented, or some sort of mental patient type who people would look at and expect to be a violent minded person.

I think that people feeling less tortured, or having the means and tools to healthily understand and overcome the sources of their feelings of torture would be good for the output as a whole, and that this would affect the conscientious decisions of musicians and people in the music industry. I think what I learned from looking back on being an angry kid is that pain drives people to act certain ways, but at the time I did not understand the cycle of pain and desire and how they were connected.

In my opinion people should be able to download music for free to listen to an album then delete it, if not keep on file out of respect for its existence in the case of the art being lost in some way. I think there should be a respect for people who want to back up information in this manner, but also, artists do deserve money for what they do. I don't agree with the concept that toying with someone elses sound is so wrong and goes against their copyright so much that they can force you to destroy the content you made out of the manipulation, unless it was something with a message that was destructive and it was publicly getting out of hand, then I can see these laws playing out in the good of man kinds favor. But we aren't guaranteed that the people overseeing these actions would think of things like that or act that way.

Over all it seems like the problem comes down to developing more advanced means to sustain the level of humanity that thrives within our personal "monkeyspheres" and all of humanities "monkeysphere" on earth, and keeping these records established against the emptying winds of time and liquidating time. generating art can be seen as adding weight to the sack that we use to keep necessary tools of information to sustain, while not always being an absolute necessity that gives specific instruction on how to sustain, at least not in an objectively measurable way. If we had a higher level of technology that interacted with our needs of information that we create better, we might have more lofty existences and it might end up easier for people to create art while going against the grain and creating more in an attempt to create art that, i dont know, has a hidden transfer of information, not just the same billboard signpost mainstream cliche style that is known the consumer can eat when is put on the radio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11