It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 am 

Hey Emil and everyone else on the board,

as a guitar player (for 6, maybe 7 years) I tried to figure out some chords from the holy sons and grails records but sadly I haven't very successful and also I couldn't find anything on the internet. Has anyone tabbed out some of the songs? Maybe you (Emil) like to share what kind of tuning (something special?) and equipment you're using and maybe tell us something about your guitar work and - if you find the time - show us some chords/tabs... would be great! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm 

that would be SO sick!

In the meantime, let's talk our own personal gear...What do you use?

I've had the same Epiphone SG for about 5 years now. It really is a solid instrument, but it is in serious need of repairs. Need to get a new humbucker for it because the bridge one has lost a spring and is constantly falling out and rubbing against the strings.

I have a woods classical model wc9

I just got the Fender Telecoustic (I don't recommend it)

For an amp I use a Fender Frontman 212r which I love, though she's just recently started to make a hum which I do not like. I also have a Marshall half-stack @ my bands practice space. For pedals I use boss chromatic tuner, boss dd-7 delay (so sick!) and EHX big muff pi!!!!

Ideal set-up would be Jazzmaster through Orange full-stack.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 pm 

I've just listened to your album... wow!... that was great, really great! Impressive piece of work! Sounds a lot like Holy Sons (and that is a good thing), but it still has its own character! Keep doing your stuff! Have you played all the instruments? How did you do the soundscapes/samples?!

Mainly I'm using an acoustic guitar, an Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar Black (http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/fo ... black.html). Most beautiful acoustic guitar I've ever seen, sadly the sound isn't the best. I also own an Fender '72 Telecaster Custom in black. Before that one, I bought a Gibson SG. A wonderful and nice and warm sounding guitar, but I prefer the Telecaster. I sold my amp - Peavey ValveKing - a couple of years ago and since that day I only have my brothers sad little Marshall Amp which sounds kinda shitty but does its job. I play with a Boss DS1.

Today I bought myself a microphone to record some guitar work, a Samson CO1U. Seems like a good choice for the start!

How long have you been playing? I started playing something like 7 or 8 years ago, teaching myself everything without any teacher. Haven't been playing much in the past 2/3 years but picked it up again a month ago and I'm really enjoying it getting lost in your own sound again...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm 

Matthias wrote:
I've just listened to your album... wow!... that was great, really great! Impressive piece of work! Sounds a lot like Holy Sons (and that is a good thing), but it still has its own character! Keep doing your stuff! Have you played all the instruments? How did you do the soundscapes/samples?!

Mainly I'm using an acoustic guitar, an Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar Black (http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/fo ... black.html). Most beautiful acoustic guitar I've ever seen, sadly the sound isn't the best. I also own an Fender '72 Telecaster Custom in black. Before that one, I bought a Gibson SG. A wonderful and nice and warm sounding guitar, but I prefer the Telecaster. I sold my amp - Peavey ValveKing - a couple of years ago and since that day I only have my brothers sad little Marshall Amp which sounds kinda shitty but does its job. I play with a Boss DS1.

Today I bought myself a microphone to record some guitar work, a Samson CO1U. Seems like a good choice for the start!

How long have you been playing? I started playing something like 7 or 8 years ago, teaching myself everything without any teacher. Haven't been playing much in the past 2/3 years but picked it up again a month ago and I'm really enjoying it getting lost in your own sound again...

Hey, thanks man. No doubt Emil and Holy Sons have played a massive influence on my song writing. I can't get enough of that desperate, raw, lo-fi sound. I have about 5 other releases before that that aren't emulating as much.

I like the look of that acoustic. The way you describe the '72 Tele....sounds quite nice.

I've been playing guitar since I was about 13. I grew up playing hardcore punk stuff, so it was not very demanding, more based on energy of the group together more so than the technical aspects of the song writing. I started taking playing and writing a bit more seriously from 17 on. So only about 4 years of serious playing.
I've been out to sea for the past 3 months, living on a sailboat without electricity. So I've only been able to strum my classical every once and a while, and I am just now beginning to get back into the swing of playing regularly and getting 'my sound' back.
I've got another music project called "dreambox" which is a collab with a friend down in NYC who is a film and music maniac.

Do you have any recordings?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Bros!,,, I'm sorry to say but a lot of the recordings are so improvised that explaining them is pretty much impossible,, not to mention most of the guitars were tuned strangely or recorded fast without using a tuner... I might be able to give you tabs of how we've re-worked some of them for the stage but you'd have to give me a couple requests and I'll relay if it's do-able er not -- Sweet! 10-4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:54 am 

yeah, I thought so, that a lot of your stuff was improvised and born in the moment of playing, especially from the early days (ascetic roots, uninhabitable, lost decade). What about Spirits High, Ready to die or Gnostic Device (the song that brought me into your music)?! Burrow Away or More Mind Briars also would be nice! Like to see one these, maybe they're do-able! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:21 pm 

Matthias has the right idea!

Gnostic Device tab would be so great. That's the first song I heard of yours as well, I must have listened to that on repeat for days. I have distinct memories of riding the T in Boston while watching the snow fall and being in awe of that song. Likewise with the Z. Riles album.

The chords to Cruel + Unusual would be cool too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 pm 

geeeeear, i'll play:

MIJ Jazzmaster with gutted electronics and Yamaha acoustic.

Traynor Guitar Mate 1x12 tube combo (noisy, could use some work) w/ original speaker (that i'd like to replace with the least efficient on i can find) but new tubes.

red llama clone i bought for peanuts of some dude on the 'Bay / Ross (MXR dist+ type) distortion / oldish Memory Man/Boss PW-2 that was pretty great here and there but i sold it / Barge Concepts feedback looper & bypass pedal.

an original MOTU 896 and a handful of proper mics (totally worth spending a bit of dough here).

due to poordom i sold all my outboard stuff and Soundcraft mixer earlier this year.

as far as tunings go, i generally tune down a full step or maybe two. i love to hear things rattling around 'round the bridge. B F# D G E flat E is the current (non)tuning which i think mutated from the one used on the Diamond Sea.

i've barely picked up that electric all year...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:48 am 

Gibson Les Paul Custom '59 or so
Kramer DMZ2000 aluminum neck late 70s/early 80s
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10" amp
A couple of shitty basses (one being Dean and one being Sam Ash's house brand, Carlo Robelli, both were free)
Roland DB-500 15" Bass amp
Novation KS4 synth
Micro Korg
Boss DD20
Zoom multi-effects

That being said, I haven't played anything in over a year - sadness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 am 

I own one harmonica.