It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Movies!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:06 am 

man! i totally get what you were saying about the Lincoln Memorial being covered in moss. EPOCHAL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:03 am 

unconfused wrote:
...the best cinematic representation of the descent into madness!!!...

This is one of my favorite movies EVER. And I truly believe William Friedkin is one of the most underrated American filmmakers in modern cinema. What really pisses me off about THE SORCERER is the fact it's only been released in a castrated "pan & scan" version of the original, despite it was shot in glorious anamorphic lenses (2.35:1 or even 2.40:1 ratio). I hate pan & scan. Thank GOD, I'm not the only one:

Ironically, It seems that Friedkin himself is not a big fan of letterbox presentations (!!!!!). Roger Avary attended to a projection of THE SORCERER in 2004 and had the chance to ask... to the man himself:

"We were treated to a new print of William Friedkin's incredible, and underappreciated, masterpiece "Sorcerer" -- with the director there to answer questions and discuss the production afterward. Friedkin has long been one of my idols, and as it turns out the last time he saw the film projected was 20 years ago -- and I was at that screening as well! We discussed all phases from the production, from Walon Green's incredible and loving adaptation, to how they did the famous bridge sequence (cables, hydraulics, and flood-gates to compensate for historical drought levels in the river), to the casting of Roy Scheider when Steve McQueen dropped out, to the casting of real mob guys and recreations of an actual robbery in Elizabeth, New Jersey, to the documentary-like shooting style to extract performances from locals, to capturing the actual aftermath of a terrorist bombing in Jerusalem -- seconds after it happened. Friedkin was candid and charismatic. To me, "Sorcerer" is one of the finest films ever made, and certainly the best remake of all time (though, according to Friedkin it is really a re-adaptation of the source material -- but I can feel the love of the original within it, and that's one of the things I love about it). To my mind, "Sorcerer" was the canary in the coal mine to 70's filmmaking. It is exactly what you should do on the heels of two box office monsters like "The French Connection" and "The Excorcist". And despite it's failure at the box office, and the embarrassing critical reception that was given to this misunderstood masterpiece, this film endures as one of the most prescient indictments of corporate greed that America has ever produced. When this film failed, so too did we as a society. It is the high water mark for the American conscience in cinema (although "The Beast", directed in top form by Kevin Reynolds, is right up there). I asked Friedkin about the trucks, which I used to visit for years next to the Red Sea at Universal Studios. The last time I had a meeting there, I went to visit and they had been removed and replaced by a little fake park -- probably sent to the scrap heap. We also discussed the choice to only release a full frame format of the film on DVD. To my horror, I realized that it is actually a pan & scan version of the film, not full frame. Friedkin, like my mother, thinks that he's losing real estate on his television when he includes the 1.85 matting. I also spoke at great length with Tony Kaye, who seemed relieved to find someone like me who comes across as more insane as he does. It was a splendid evening."

Irony is everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 am 

(from the "Books" thread, as an answer to EXECUTIVE ACTION movie excerpt)

EXECUTIVE ACTION looks like the perfect tie for a double feature session with Richard Condon's novel adaptation WINTER KILLS (1979), starring John Huston and Jeff Bridges. If you didn't see it... oh my God. As a satire, I don't think Sidney Lumet's NETWORK can be defeated... but WINTER KILLS gets close! For anyone interested:

A trailer:

And an invaluable featurette:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 16tVJGiaCU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:04 am 

If NEUROSIS made a movie, it would look and feel like this one:

A group of scientists travel from Earth to the planet Arkanar, a planet similar to Earth but which is "about eight hundred years behind in history, still trapped in the Dark Ages".[1] Don Rumata, one of the scientists, is disgusted by cruelties he observes on an everyday basis but is prohibited by his superiors from interfering and possibly changing the natural course of history of the planet. The only thing the historians have a right to do is to protect and help a select few individuals who seem to be different from everybody else and can benefit the entire planet through their knowledge and ideas. Rumata has to find one of these people, Budakh, and rescue him from the hands of Don Reba, a grey cardinal ruling for a weak king and later, an insane tyrant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7rDpiiOIYA[/url]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_to_B ... (2013_film)