Transparent Powers
The Feral Kid
Thorns II (new instrumental)
Out the Gate
Drifter's Sympathy
Ready to Die
Arranged Release
Young Man

Elisa Ambrogio, of Magic Markers, was the opening act for this gig and man what a treat it was to see someone like that perform. Just pure unbridled emotion pouring out into messy broken guitar solos and hauntingly sung lyrics. Truly a gifted musician. Nearing the end, the "Holy Boys" hopped on stage and brought it all home with a few tripped out descents into madness.

Holy Sons. It cannot be overstated how vital it is for anyone interested in the Holy Sons experience to get out and see this monster in the flesh. The raw humanity that is so admired in the records is held bare and presented with a fresh face unique only to that time and place. Highlights include the breakdown at the end of Self Respect, the galloping om of Aged Wine, the Toronto favourite Ready to Die, Emil talking of his days making prank calls with Duncan, and the solo show closer Young Man.

I was talking with Emil afterwards and one of the burning questions on my mind was about that live track COMANCHE Grails played last time they were through. Turns out it's a cover of a 1973 Swedish prog album from a band named Kebnekaise off their album Kebnekaise II. Needless to say there is one less copy on discogs.com.

All in all, my batteries are charged with fresh optimism. It's always a pleasure to watch Emil create on stage and this time was no different. Can't wait for all the records he was hinting at, specifically new Grails, which by the sounds of it, will follow nicely in the vein of Deep Politics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:56 pm 

Thanks for the review. Was hoping to see them on this tour but a five hour drive to Chicago (and braving Chicago traffic/tolls) was just to much for me at this time. Hope he is able to do a midwest tour again. Saw Emil w/ Om and Watter last month and it mainly made me want to hear some new Grails music, though it was awesome nonetheless. (I just bought the Kebnekaise CD on discogs after reading what you posted :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 pm 

nice! its no bootleg but i wanted to have something on the books you know. pretty excited for that record too, it'll be a long couple weeks...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:54 pm